Update From Band Directors – 11-3-16
From the Directors:
1. Congratulations to all the students and staff of the Cat Band for a fantastic marching season! Working on “Black Widow” was a fun challenge throughout the fall, and the show really came to life over the course of the season. This past Saturday, the Cat Band capped off the competitive season with another outstanding performance at the SCBDA Class 4-A State Championships, finishing 7th in a very close competition. Way to go band members for an outstanding fall!
- Many thanks to all who have helped with the marching band throughout the competition season. Whether you hemmed pants, prepared a meal, chaperoned a bus or built props, your contribution helped our band to experience a very successful season. A number of our most active parents are “graduating,” so if you have not yet gotten involved, please consider how you can be a part of the excitement in the future.
- The original plan was for the band to offer a final performance of “Black Widow” at this Friday night’s game, a number of students approached me and Ms. Pike asking if we might reconsider. In meeting with our student leaders, they were overwhelmingly in favor of letting last weekend’s two outstanding performances be the final ones for the season. With limited rehearsal time and several key players out, it would be very difficult to perform at the high level of achievement that we have seen for the past three weeks. After careful consideration of all of these factors, we have decided not to perform at halftime this week. This is probably the best decision for all involved, although it may be a disappointment for some students.
- Marching Band Schedule for This Week
Thursday, Nov. 3 Rehearsal, 3:45 – 4:45
Friday, Nov. 4 LHS vs. Dutch Fork – call time is 6:00 pm
Sunday, Nov. 6 Lexington Veteran’s Parade – call time is 2:30 pm at Harbor Inn Seafood; parade will end by 4:00, behind the Lexington County Administration Building.
- A number of parents have asked about ordering letter jackets for their student. Attached is a flyer with instructions on how to order a letter jacket. Please note that the order must be placed by Monday, November 7 if you wish to receive the jacket in time for Christmas. For new parents, band and guard letters are awarded at the annual band banquet in May. Students will receive a copy of the requirements for earning a letter in class.
- Winter Guard Auditions – Audition dates for this year’s winter guards will be Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, November 7, 9 and 10, from 4:00 – 6:30 pm each day. Auditions are open to students in grades 7 – 12, and students do not need to have prior experience. The guard staff will teach you everything you need to know in order to audition! Audition packets can be picked up in the main office at each school (LHS, PHMS and LMS). For the practices and auditions, students should wear athletic clothing that allows freedom of movement. Middle school students can ride the shuttle bus after school to LHS for auditions. The auditions will be held in the LHS Commons (front of the school).
- At present, some of our students are looking at moving up to more advanced or professional-level instruments. Several local instrument dealers are offering special pricing through the end of the year. Interested parents can contact the band directors if you would like to explore your options for upgrading your student’s instrument.
- Dates and Times for the remainder of the year are HERE. Included are dates of winter guard competitions and band camp dates for 2017-18.